The Society of Mary ("Marianists") is a Roman
Catholic religious order of brothers and priests. The Marianists served
the parish for sixty-eight years, first coming to Most Holy Trinity from Dayton,
Ohio in 1904; in the
earliest days of their presence in the parish, the Marianists supervised the
boys division of the parish elementary school. The first Marianists to come to
Trinity were Brothers Louis Bornhorn, S.M., Joseph Wisgickel, S.M., Sylvester
Kubin, S.M., and Charles Treubig, S.M. More
than ten years after these first brothers arrived, the Marianists began
in 1915 to enthusiastically administer and teach young
men at Most Holy Trinity High School;
the high school was open from that year until it closed in 1972. With the
closure of the high school, the Marianist era at Trinity came to an end.
The parish will forever be grateful to the members of the Society of Mary for
their dedicated years of service at Trinity.
Marianists Taught at Most Holy Trinity High School from 1915 until the school
closed in 1972. The parish school building housed both elementary and high
school classrooms. Today this building houses Ss. Joseph and Dominic
Catholic Academy, a Catholic elementary school for all of East Williamsburg,
Brooklyn (i.e., it's a "cluster school").
located in the Marianists' residence, as it appeared in 1966 when this photo was
taken. It is hoped that someday this chapel will be re-opened, and renamed
"Saint Mary's Chapel," to be used as a daily Mass chapel for the new parish of
Most Holy Trinity -- St. Mary (the two parishes merged in September of 2007).
MOST HOLY TRINITY FACULTY
Marianists lived in the Most Holy Trinity High School Faculty House for eighteen
years: from the year construction was completed in 1954 until the community
departed Trinity in 1972. Today this building, known as "Haggerty House,"
is used a group home for handicapped young adults.
etched in marble, is
still visible at the main entrance to the former Marianists residence located
next to the church on Montrose Avenue.
William Joseph Chaminade founded the Society of Mary (Marianists) in 1817.
They first arrived in the United States in 1849. Throughout
their history in our country, the community has been involved in many types of
ministries; they have particularly been champions of Catholic education. Today
the Marianists of the Province of the Unites States sponsor three universities
and eighteen high schools, as well as a number of parishes and retreat centers.
Although Most Holy Trinity High School is no longer open, the Marianists’
ministry here, and their devotion to the young men they served at Trinity, is
still appreciated and held in the highest regard. We will forever be grateful!
MARIANISTS ATTEND MOST HOLY TRINITY ALUMNI GATHERING
(Taken from http://www.marianist.com/fol/fol142.htm)
At the celebration, Bro. Stephen Glodek, Fr. Santo Cricchio, OFM
Conv. (pastor), Fr. Timothy P. Dore, OFM Conv.
(parochial vicar), Fr. Ted Cassidy and Joe
Manzo. Photo courtesy of Fr. Ted.
Bro. Stephen Glodek
and Fr. Ted Cassidy attended an alumni gathering of Most Holy
Trinity High School April 5 in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, N.Y. The Marianists
administered Holy Trinity from 1914 to 1972. Bro. Stephen and Fr. Ted both
taught at the school. "When I was there, I remember a listing of over 50 men who
joined the Society of Mary from the school," said Fr. Ted. The celebration
included Mass and a luncheon. Joe Manzo, an alumnus, former
faculty member and former Marianist, was honored at the event. The school is now
an elementary school, Sts. Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg,
and the parish is administered by the Conventual Franciscans.
brothers and priests
ministered at Most Holy Trinity High School:
This list is
very incomplete and currently under construction--please send us (at:
firstname.lastname@example.org) the names of brothers and priest that you remember
who served at Trinity, and we will post them to this list.
Rev. Aloysius Bedel, S.M.
Bro. Paul Boeckerman, S.M.
Rev. Thomas Bodie, S.M.
Bro. Lawrence Boll, S.M.
Bro. Robert Boltz, S.M.
Bro. Louis Bornhorn, S.M. (1904)
Bro. William Busch, S.M.
Bro. William Cambell, S.M.
Rev. Charles Cancillieri, S.M.
Bro. Ted Cassidy, S.M.
Bro. William Chapman, S.M.
Bro. John Collins, S.M.
Bro. William Collins, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Concannon, S.M.
Bro. John Conway, S.M.
Bro. William Crenner, S.M.
Bro. Carmine Diadoti, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Duffy, S.M.
Bro. Donald DuScheid, S.M.
Bro. John Eichelman, S.M.
Bro. Leroy Eid, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Fox, S.M.
Bro. Raymond Fuechslin, S.M.
Bro. Lawrence Gardner, S.M.
Bro. Robert Geary, S.M.
Bro. Stephen Glodek, S.M.
Bro. Robert H. Hamilton, S.M.
Bro. Francis Keenan, S.M.
Bro. Anthony Kelley, S.M.
Bro. John Kelly, S.M.
Rev. Francis Kenney, S.M.
Bro. Richard Knuge, S.M.
Rev. Henry Kobe, S.M.
Bro. Henry Kraeter, S.M.
Bro. Sylvester Kubin, S.M. (1904)
Rev. Richard Kuhn, S.M.
Bro. Robert Lindemann, S.M.
Bro. Charles Luttenberg , S.M.
Bro. Ernest Lorfanfant, S.M.
Rev. Joseph Lynch, S.M.
Bro. Stephen Manning, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Manzo, S.M.
Bro. Gerald Marks, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Marovich, S.M.
Rev. Raymond McMahon, S.M.
Bro. Clyde Miller, S.M.
Rev. Frank Modica, S.M.
Bro. M. Mahoney, S.M.
Bro. Daniel Moock, S.M.
Bro. Gerald Morris, S.M.
Rev. Thomas Niemira, S.M.
Bro. John O’Farrell, S.M.,
Bro. Paul Pieschel, S.M.
Bro. Robert Pint, S.M.
Bro. Richard Pirchner, S.M.
Bro. Pete Pontolillo, S.M.
Bro. Ralph Pranger, S.M.
Bro. Paul Quinn, S.M.
Bro. Eldon Reichert, S.M.
Bro. James Robertson, S.M.
Bro. Michael Robl, S.M.
Bro. Charles Roggemann, S.M.
Bro. Paul Roos, S.M.
Bro. Walter Rydd, S.M.
Bro. Frank Russell, S.M.
Rev. Urban Rupp, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Scheible, S.M.
Bro. John Schneider, S.M.
Bro. Robert Schuellein, S.M.
Bro. Daniel` Shannon, S.M.
Bro. John Spellman, S.M.
Bro. Thomas Stanley, S.M.
Bro. Donald Sullivan, S.M.
Bro. Ted Szymanski, S.M.
Rev. Joseph Tetzlaff, S.M.
Rev. John Tonry, S.M.
Bro. Charles Treubig, S.M. (1904)
Bro. Kevin Whelan, S.M.
Rev. Louis Wiesner, S.M.
Bro. John Wise, S.M.
Bro. Joseph Wisgickel, S.M. (1904)
Bro. James Wolan, S.M.
Thank you Marianists brothers and priests!
The Marianists Brothers and Priests who served at Most Holy Trinity High
School now belong to the Marianist Province of the United States, headquartered
in Saint Louis, Missouri. Visit their web site at:
Mission Statement of the Society of Mary (Marianists)
Empowered by the Holy Spirit
and inspired by the dynamism
of Blessed Chaminade's charism,
we brothers and priests vowed religious in the Marianist Family,
live in community as equals.
Through lives of prayer and Gospel service,
we dedicate ourselves
to the following of Jesus Christ,
Son of God become Son of Mary.
Wherever we are sent
we invite others to share in Mary's Mission
of making Christ present in every age and culture
by forming persons and communities of apostolic faith
that advance justice and reconciliation.
Committed to education,
we minister with youth and in solidarity with the poor.
Do you wish
to contact the Marianists?
provinces of the United States came together to form one province a few years
ago. You can write to them at the following address:
Province of the United States
4425 West Pine Blvd.
St. Louis Missouri 63108-2301
Phone: 314-533-1207, Fax: 314-533-0778
See their web site (www.marianist.com)
in order to get an email address to which you can write.
Via Latina 22
00179 Rome, Italy
The Vocation Director for the Marianists is Brother Charles Johnson, S.M.
Bro. Charles can be reached at the St. Louis, Missouri address