Most Holy Trinity School was established in 1841.  For more than one-hundred and sixty years it was a vital part of the parish and of the neighborhood.  On Ash Wednesday, February 9, 2005, the Diocese of Brooklyn announced that a major restructuring of its system of schools would be in place by the start of the 2005-2006 school year; many parish schools would close, some would merge with, or be absorbed by others.  On that somber day, it was announced that each of the three schools of our cluster would be closed and that a new school would open at the Trinity location.  Consequently, Most Holy Trinity and the neighboring schools of Transfiguration and All Saints graduated their last classes in June of 2005.  Most Holy Trinity School had the unique distinction of being the oldest parish school in the Diocese of Brooklyn that had continually educated students from 1841 until its doors officially closed in 2005.

In September of 2005 a new regional school, representing Most Holy Trinity, Transfiguration, All Saints, and the other  four parishes of the local cluster (Epiphany, St. Mary's, Our Lady of Pompei and Sts. Peter and Paul), opened with the name Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg.  The new regional school continues to offer the same quality education that has been given to children in the cluster for generations.


Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg




140 Montrose Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11206
Phone: 718-384-1101
Fax:  718-384-6567

Sister Karen Lademann, OP, Principal

 


All are invited to join us at Most Holy Trinity Church on September16, 2005 at 9:00 AM for a special School Mass marking the beginning of the new academic year and the opening of Sts. Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg.  The Mass will be offered by Rev. Msgr. John J. Bracken and the priests of the seven parishes of our cluster.


History of the School

In 1853, when the first Amityville Dominican Sisters arrived in America from Regensburg, Germany, they quickly assumed responsibility for the parish school at Most Holy Trinity. In the early years of the community's presence in Brooklyn, the sisters educated the children of German immigrants; in addition to their work at Trinity, the sisters eventually went to nearby All Saints School as well as to other parishes of Williamsburg and beyond.

In 1855, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood, another great community of women religious, arrived in Brooklyn and assumed the responsibility for the parish school at Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (St. Mary's, Maujer Street).  The sisters eventually took on the responsibilities of teaching the children at the nearby parish schools of Epiphany, Transfiguration and Sts. Peter and Paul; in the earliest days, the majority of the people of these parishes were Irish immigrants.  The Sisters of Saint Joseph are proud to have, as part of their one-hundred and fifty year history, the legacy of serving the parishes of our neighborhood and many others in Brooklyn and beyond.

Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg opened in 2005; it is heir to the six schools of our neighborhood  that were formerly served by the Sisters of St. Dominic and the Sisters of St. Joseph.  The new school was so named in order to honor the many years of dedicated service given to the parishes of our cluster by the sisters of both religious communities.  Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy continues the traditions of the former schools; it is a vital resource for our community today, serving the changing needs of the neighborhood.

Today, boasting a dedicated religious and lay faculty, Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg strives to educate its students with Christian values and academic excellence; the parishes of our cluster, our administration, faculty and parents hope the school will offer its students the moral and intellectual tools needed in order to become blessed and productive members of society.


If you are interested in enrolling your child into Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg, please call the office during school hours in order to make an appointment.  Thanks!

The Seven Sponsoring Parishes of Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg:

(listed in the order the parishes were founded)

Most Holy Trinity (founded 1841)
138 Montrose Avenue

Sts. Peter and Paul (founded in 1843)
71 South 3rd Street

Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary [known as St. Mary's] (founded in 1854)
72 Maujer Street

All Saints (founded in 1867)
115 Throop Avenue

Transfiguration (founded in 1874)
263 Marcy Avenue

Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei (founded in 1900)
225 Siegel Street

 Epiphany (founded in 1905)
96 South 9th Street

 


Mr. Phil McHugh taught at Most Holy Trinity school for seventeen years.  He now serves as a faculty member of Saints Joseph and Dominic Catholic Academy of Williamsburg.
Here he shown giving our students valuable computer lessons.

Click here to go back to the top of the page




 

Home       Site Map       Español

 

If you wish to contact us please send email to mhtbrooklyn@yahoo.com

 

Last Updated: Tuesday September 27, 2005 02:24 PM

Site Design by Fray Teo,  © 2005 Most Holy Trinity Church, Brooklyn, New York